If you are unable to Join or receive activation mail then leave a msg at our Facebook Page Link or use Contact US page on main site Link.

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Souper's "other" drawings  (Read 16902 times)

Offline Cup-a-soup

• View Profile
Re: Souper's "other" drawings
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2018, 05:37:17 PM »
I actually have a normal size dakimakura pillowcase. Never used, came with a book as a freebie. I actually mentioned it to my parents (because they are gonna find it sooner or later regardless), and they were like "yeahhhhhh, thats kinda crossing a line", and I sort of agree so meh.

Although, mahlua, You can probably make your own with a bit of craftiness. You can buy A4 iron-on transfers, and print your image on several sheets, poster style, then line them all up so there's no gaps. $10 worth of transfer paper and bam! instant dakimakura, of any image you want. You can sew a pillow case very easily from a bedsheet which is also $5-10, if you dont have a blank pillowcase, although I imagine that's equally cheap anyway.

If you have a heat press (which also isnt expensive for an entry level A4 one - maybe $50-70) then you can get the higher quality transfer paper which will last better.
エッチワールドのいいとこは日本語を入力できること。
My Art

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Fanservice with Legs
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2018, 05:43:13 PM »
The better quality make that you're talking about is still about the price of some of the dakimakura that they were selling at a convention I went to last month. They were selling them already printed for $60 usd.

I don't think it's crossing a line all that much. Have you seen teenage girls and their boyband posters? And people call anime nerds weird. INB4 "they're real people though so it's less weird"--no, boyband members play "characters" just as much to pull of their "image". In my book, it's actually weirder that it's a "real person" because like, that person probably doesn't know you and doesn't want you making out with an image of them like that's uncomfortable to think about.
"It is always by way of pain one arrives at pleasure."--Marquis de Sade
But yes hello I am the freakier freak than you.

Offline Cup-a-soup

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2018, 05:52:16 PM »
Yeah, I thought I would mention it as I have one for T-shirt printing. But once bought, the more you use it, it becomes worth it. so for 1 printed t-shirt or dakimkura, it probably wont be, but for a couple of things it will be. The cost was for the press, not the paper, if thats what you thought, though.

yeah, its the lower end of the line :P
true what you say about the posters, I hadn't thought that wide, being just an anime otaku :P
I still think its strange though XD
I think an anime poster/dakimkura is a lot more more "normal" / less weird than a real-life(tm) person though.
Maybe I'm just not much of a fanboy, either way.
My Art

Offline rubixmaestro

• Grand Supremer of The Voyeur Corps
  • Global Moderator
  • Mellorine ~ !
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2018, 09:16:46 AM »
Sou-Soupeerrr-SAAAAAN. TEACH ME YOUR WAYS.

Dammit man those studies, dammit the images. *Nosebleed* *Thumbs up* YES.

The coloured works are especially on point. Also, always wanted to be able to draw pantsu like that. Damn man, I might almost get into colouring because of this. The skin tones are on point.
real life has sexy graphics

Offline Cup-a-soup

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2018, 01:22:56 PM »
many thanks
Honestly no idea what I do, half I don't think at the moment I could ever do again :P

for the coloured studies, start with a simple line gesture/copy. dont worry about proportion because shade is the most important in this one. I often use a base colour layer on top of the line sketch, and then multiply the shading with another layer, and any light shines with another on top, on normal setting. Or just do the base layer, turn on that button, the, you know, the button uhhhhhh whats it called.....uhhhh, alpha lock/pixel lock? one of them. then you can shade on top of the base layer and the shade paint wont spill over the original base shape.

I often use colour picker to see how the skin tone changes from light to dark, but I always pick from memory afterwards (possibly not the best method for learning, but you learn how the colour works). I also play with the brightness and contrast etc on the reference image to see how heavy the shading is in certain areas.

There are several types of shade according to me, out-of-light shade, which is the half of the object that is not directly lit. in-dark shade, like crevices which receive minimal ambient light, and (overlapping a little with the last one) cast-shade, the object casting a direct shadow on itself, such as the breasts. I draw these on separate layers sometimes or the same layer with a different colour brush. I often shade in light pinky grey, on multiply.

basically copy and learn. You want to learn:
"how something is done" (Copy directly)
"why it is done" (what does it do)
leading to "why/how does it achieve that" (bit of understanding light/form)
then when you do your own drawing, you can say "how can i do it myself"

the biggest problem is that you can "easily" copy, and learn from one aspect of a good piece of art, the biggest problem is learning a second part without forgetting the last one. I feel my RAM is just not good enough, so I keep forgetting things I have already learnt, especially when focusing on a new skill or aspect.
My Art

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Fanservice with Legs
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2018, 02:18:47 PM »
Yeah, I've gotten into trouble before with studying some fundamentals of color theory and value/shading/whatnot because "this is how you do this thing."

Later:

"Except not at all really because these other fundamentals affect the product so you can't do that and get good results."

Like, just tell me how the fundamentals interact with one another. I'm not the kind of person who can learn them singularly. That adds so many extra steps of then having to learn to apply it to other things. I learn by making connections among everything.

Color theory has been kicking my behind recently, can you tell?

Offline Cup-a-soup

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2018, 04:25:39 PM »
yeah, I'm just going to copy 100 of everything until I can draw it all by "gut feel".

Fundamentals are everything. Basically everything can be broken down, but it should not necessarily BE broken down.

Like speech is a complex mix of basic elements with lots of rules, break it down too far and it loses its meaning. But most fluent people (ie natives) learnt to speak by not studying the fundamentals, they just LEARNT it. All in one go, all at once, all the time, all of it. And they speak the best. I think theres something to learn from that. Thats my learning principle but it has a steep curve.

Ask a fluent person why a certain phrase sounds better than another, or a choice of words, and they will say "it just does". How can someone (ie all natives [minus the ones with degrees in their own language study]) be SO GOOD at speaking their own language but have NO IDEA how to explain it? I believe art (and everything) should be the same. Just because there IS a reason why something should be done a certain way, that doesnt justify having to know the reason instead of just doing it "because thats the way to do it"

bit of exaggeration there to make my point but 'nuff said.
My Art

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Fanservice with Legs
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2018, 05:23:07 PM »
I've had to study linguistics as a part of my major and even thought about minoring in it or teaching English as a second language and boy do I have a thing to tell you:
you're absolutely right.

But remember that it takes kids until about seven years old to become fluent speakers of their native language, and they're exposed to it every day. So, going by your theory, being constantly immersed in art every day for hours a day will get you good in seven years. Ish. I find that to be a useful approach to anything. "How long have I been seriously working on this?" and regardless of the answer, follow up with, "Well, how good at being a functional human was I at that age? What have I learned since then?" Since all people are works in progress, it really puts things in perspective.

And when you apply that to all the big name artists out there--it makes sense. It looks like it fits that way.

Just like with native languages, though, it's possible to improve your presentation based on academic study, just like how musicians undoubtedly benefit from learning fancy scales and modes and advanced music theory. It's a supplement that benefits with hard work. Like, you can take a multivitamin every day, but if you don't also have proper diet and exercise, you can still be unhealthy. Nothing in art (or life, really) can truly replace good old fashioned hard work.

And hard work is one of the things that you and, say, Rubix and Dev, just for examples, have down incredibly well.

Offline Cup-a-soup

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2018, 06:18:19 PM »
hard work is one of the things you can control regardless of any other factor (except , I suppose, time), and it will tend toward success, albeit dependent on a lot of other factors. that's my theory.

Yes its true that a large amount of time is spent as a child to become fluent, but they are also learning a lot of other skills simultaneously such as hand/eye coordination etc. So not necessarily all that time is necessary for just one skill. Also as adults, we can look at a skill objectively with a goal in mind, whereas a child doesn't think to learn faster than what they are doing. So I think its possible to reduce the learning time significantly. I will soon be putting another theory to the test as my life is clearing up slightly in a month or so, giving me the free time.

Incidentally, 7 years @5 hours a day is 12k hours, just above the "ideal 10,000 for mastering a skill". Since I document a lot of my time, I hope to get a decent value to compare "when" I get good.

Thats a great analogy about the multivitamin vs. diet and excercise. I think thats totally on the mark. Everything needs to be in balance, study/learning vs practical.
My Art

Offline Cup-a-soup

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2018, 03:12:38 AM »
latest couple of sketches
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 05:14:04 PM by Cup-a-soup »
My Art

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Fanservice with Legs
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2018, 03:40:57 PM »
Translucent underwear is the death of me. If only all your figures didn't look like children to me, lmao.

Offline Cup-a-soup

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2018, 05:59:20 PM »
If only all your figures didn't look like children
touché

PS I typically don't draw translucent underwear tho, is that the feeling it gave off?

but its true, I have no idea but I just can't get that adult figure working :P
probably a subconscious avoidance of drawing overly sexual (namely large breasted) characters led to that :P
not that large breasts give off a promiscuous vibe but hopefully you get what I mean :P
My Art

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Fanservice with Legs
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2018, 07:31:54 PM »
If that's not translucent, that's one helluva camel toe, lmao.

It's all good. Just don't forget to work that muscle every now and then. I've found it helpful to do studies of like hypermasculine (e.g. G.I. Joe figures) and hyperfeminine (super fashion model) figures to avoid drawing the same body types. It's not a requirement, but helpful nonetheless.

Offline rubixmaestro

• Grand Supremer of The Voyeur Corps
  • Global Moderator
  • Mellorine ~ !
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2018, 08:17:03 AM »
 remember the embarrasing time it took me to learn what camel toe meant.

I'd be interested in seeing the results of your experiments souper, I'm obsessed with learning too. There's one I'm curious about but not looking forward to trying out: Learning a new skill in old age, like in your 60s - 80s and whether you can get reasonably good enough at something to sell something off of it. Sounds very money-obsessed, but making cash monehs is a good scale of how good your are methinks.

Keep at these souper. Ah, the glory of pen and ink. I never get tired of seeing sketches done in it.
real life has sexy graphics

Offline Cup-a-soup

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2018, 04:53:50 PM »
@MahluaandMilk ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh nope thats just a wild sketch line in the totally wrong place. "lol".  agree with the wide study range, but I just never get round to it :P

@rubixmaestro yep the main trouble is I'm not sure how to exactly document the method I'm using, or how to compare its effectiveness. I'll probably need to have an "old" method and a "new" method that produce a similar output but (hopefully) vary in quality. Maybe a vote system where you guys pick the best drawings and I tell you which method I used.

actually these are all digital, though. my drawing style is identical in page layout and I don't ever use undo, so it looks the same as my pen sketches, which is deliberate because I like that style. Also I can't hide my bad ecchi drawings if they are traditional ;)
My Art